Beaumont City is located within the Beaumont-Port Arthur Metropolitan statistical area and now has a population of approximately 118,000. It is Jefferson County's county seat and with the cities of Port Arthur and Orange it creates the Golden Triangle, that is an essential industrial area on the Gulf Coast.
Beaumont City is situated south of the dense pine forests of East Texas on the coastal plane, which is around 30 miles inland from the Gulf of Mexico. Neches River borders the city of Beaumont on the east and Pine Island Bayou borders the city of Beaumont on the north border. Initially, the city of Beaumont was criss-crossed by several small streams but as the city developed most of them were converted or filled for drainage purposes. Trinity Island is located directly across from Riverfront Park, and the other three islands around the downtown part are named Clark, Harbor and Smith.
The area was first settled by Nancy and Noah Tevis during the year 1824. They built a farm on the west bank of the Neches River. A small community began to grow around the farm and was eventually named Tevis Bluff or Neches River Settlement. Joseph P. Pulsifer, Thomas B. Huling and Henry Millard purchased the small community together with the nearby community of Santa Anna during the year 1835 with the objective of planning a town. It was named after the late wife of henry Millard, Mary Dewburleigh Barlace Warren Beaumont, who passed away in the year 1834.
Lamar University is located within Beaumont City and currently hosts roughly 15,000 students. The city's daily newspaper is The Beaumont Enterprise, and The Examiner is published once a week.
The Beaumont Port represents a significant portion of the economy. The port is the second biggest military seaport in the globe and is presently the largest seaport by Tonnage. Stationed at the port are both the 596th Transportation Group and the 842nd Transportation Battalion.
There are several companies which have their head offices located within Beaumont City. Now, Conn's Appliances and Jason's Deli are two of the biggest. The Sweet Leaf Tea Company headquarters was initially situated within the city but relocated to Austin during October the year 2003. Until it's absorption by Entergy Corporation in the year 1993, Gulf States Utilities also had its headquarters there. GSU's Edison Plaza remains the tallest building in the city of Beaumont.
Ever since 1907, the city has hosted the South Texas State fair and has just relocated this exhibition to a new place in Ford Park.
Within the city, the top employers consist of Beaumont Independent School District, Conn's Appliances Inc., Christus St. Elizabeth Hospital and Memorial Hermann Baptists Hospital.